Of Counsel / Honolulu
Steven S. C. Lim
Steve Lim is Of Counsel in the firm's Honolulu office. He has over twenty years experience on the Big Island, Maui, Kauai and Oahu in all phases of the real property development process. Mr. Lim concentrates in advising clients on real property due diligence reviews, land use entitlements and administrative issues, including litigation of land use and real property disputes.
Mr. Lim is listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business 2021 for Real Estate: Land Use & Zoning Law (Band 1). Chambers said: "Steven Lim is a revered real estate attorney who is skilled at handling contentious and regulatory matters concerning land use and zoning. His experience includes complex redevelopment projects." In 2014, The Best Lawyers in America selected Mr. Lim as Lawyer of the Year (Hawai‘i)—Real Estate Law (Land Use & Zoning Law).
Represents developers and major land owners in all phases of project development. Performs due diligence on complex real estate purchases, including pre-closing review of title, zoning and permit compliance isssues, as well as proposed use reviews. Work involves land use entitlements and registration of subdivisions and condominiums, and advising clients on licensing and permitting requirements at the federal, state and local levels. Represents individuals and development entities in the purchase and sale of real property, and in actions to quiet title.
Assists clients in obtaining a wide variety of land use zoning changes, licenses and permits from governmental agencies, including liquor licenses, conditional use permits, industrial wastewater discharge permits, shoreline setback variances, site plan review permits, and special management area use permits, among others. Obtains approvals for variances from affordable housing rules, and zoning and subdivision requirements. Represents clients in litigation of administrative appeals before agencies, boards, and the courts.
- Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business 2021 for Real Estate: Land Use & Zoning Law (Band 1)
- Selected by attorney peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2022 for Administrative / Regulatory Law, Land Use & Zoning Law, and for Real Estate Law; Mr. Lim has been listed in The Best Lawyers since 2009
- Selected by The Best Lawyers in America as Lawyer of the Year (Hawai'i)--Real Estate Law (Land Use & Zoning)
- Urban Land Institute
- Planning Commission Member, City and County of Honolulu
- Hawaii State Bar Association
- Hawaii County Bar Association