Partner / Hilo
Shawn H. Yamada
Shawn Yamada is a Partner in the firm’s Hilo office and a member of the Tax, Estate Planning & Pension practice group. She concentrates her practice in the areas of estate planning, probate, trust administration, real property, and land use.
Prior to joining Carlsmith Ball, Ms. Yamada served as a Law Clerk to the Honorable Derrick H. M. Chan of the Circuit Court of the First Circuit, conducting legal research and preparing bench memoranda on probate, trust, conservatorship, and guardianship matters. She also served as a pro bono volunteer to the Office of the Corporation Counsel, County of Hawai`i, in Hilo and as a Judicial Extern to the Honorable Gary W. B. Chang of the Circuit Court of the First Circuit.
Ms. Yamada received her J.D. degree, magna cum laude, from the William S. Richardson School of Law, University of Hawai`i. While in law school, she earned the CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Legal Practice II, Contract Drafting, and Real Estate Development and Finance.
- Selected by attorney peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch 2021 for Trusts and Estates
- Named to the 2020 Hawaii Super Lawyers Rising Star List for Estate & Probate, listed since 2017
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Legal Practice II, Contract Drafting, and Real Estate Development and Finance
- Oscar and Rosetta Fish Scholarship for Excellence, Shidler College of Business, University of Hawai`i
- East Hawaii Director, Real Property Financial Services Section of the Hawai`i State Bar Association 2016 - present
- Hawaii State Bar Association
- Hawaii County Bar Association
- Hawaii Women Lawyers