Partner / Honolulu
John C. Khil
John Khil is the Chair of the firm's Tax practice group, and concentrates in tax law with an emphasis on pensions, profit sharing and employee benefits. He is a former attorney-advisor in the Employee Plans and Exempt Organizations Division, Office of Chief Counsel, Internal Revenue Service in Washington, D.C., where he was responsible for providing legal opinions, drafting Treasury regulations, and assisting in the formulation of tax legislation relating to pension and welfare plans. Mr. Khil lectures on employee benefit matters and is active in the Employee Benefits Committee of the American Bar Association Section on Taxation. He has been a member of the Subcommittee on ESOPs, TRASOPs, and PAYSOPs, the Task Force on Welfare Benefits Funds, and the Subcommittee on Special Compensation Problems of Small Businesses.
Mr. Khil is listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business 2021 for Labor & Employment: Employee Benefits & Compensation (Band 1). Chambers said: "John Khil has expertise in tax law and is particularly adept at advising employers on pension plans, IRS approvals and employee benefits."
- Selected by attorney peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2021 for Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, and Tax Law; listed since 1995
- Named Best Lawyers 2018 "Lawyer of the Year" for Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business 2021 for Labor & Employment Law: Employee Benefits & Compensation
- Selected by attorney peers for inclusion in Super Lawyers for Employee Benefits/ERISA
- Hawaii State Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Committee on Employee Benefits; Member, Section of Taxation; Subcommittee on ESOPs, TRASOPs, and PAYSOPs and the Task Force on Welfare Benefits Funds; Subcommittee on Special Compensation Problems of Small Business