Partner / Honolulu
Avery C. Matro
Avery Matro is a Partner in the firm's Honolulu office. She concentrates her practice in the areas of Administrative & Regulatory and Real Estate and Project Development. Prior to joining Carlsmith Ball, Ms. Matro served as a Deputy Prosecuting Attorney for the City and County of Honolulu's Department of the Prosecuting Attorney. From 2013 to 2016, she gained substantial trial experience representing the State in multiple bench and jury trials, with charges ranging from petty misdemeanors to Class A felonies.
Ms. Matro’s practice focuses on civil litigation and administrative law. She brings her criminal litigation experience to not only civil matters heard at Circuit Court, but also to contested hearings heard before various state agencies. She is currently assisting in the development of litigation strategy and the crafting of pre-trial motions in connection with significant land use and environmental matters before State Agencies and Appellate Courts.
Ms. Matro received her J.D. degree from the University of Hawaii William S. Richardson School of Law, cum laude. She was the lead oralist on the Sal Lefkowitz Intellectual Property moot court team. In 2013, the team won Best Oralist, Best Brief, and First Place Overall at the Western Division Competition. The team then went on to win Best Oralist Team and Best Overall Team at the National Competition. While at Richardson, Ms. Matro also received the CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Constitutional Law II.
- Selected by attorney peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch 2022 for Administrative / Regulatory Law, and Real Estate Law; previously listed in 2021
- 2013 Saul Lefkowitz Intellectual Property Moot Court National Champion
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Constitutional Law II
- Seattle Pacific University, University Scholar
- Seattle Pacific University, Mortar Board
Hawai`i State Bar Association