Of Counsel / Honolulu
Eric A. "Rick" James
Rick James is Of Counsel in the firm's Honolulu office and is a member of the Transactional practice group. He concentrates his practice on all phases of the acquisition, development and sale of real property, including: the formation of partnerships, joint ventures and LLC's; negotiating purchase and sale agreements; negotiating construction contracts and architect agreements; representing borrowers in development financing; preparing condominium and land sales registrations; preparing project sales documents and negotiating long-term ground leases. Mr. James also regularly advises clients on environmental law matters affecting real estate, with an emphasis on cleaning up contaminated sites and the impact of environmental laws in leasing and sales transactions.
Mr. James is listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business 2021 for Real Estate (Senior Statement). Chambers said: "Eric James has a longstanding track record in significant real estate transactions in Hawaii. He is also deeply experienced in the development of real estate projects, including construction and environmental matters." Mr. James has also been selected by attorney peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2022, for Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships), Litigation - Real Estate, Environmental Law, Land Use and Zoning Law, and Real Estate Law; he has been listed in the publication since 2001.
- Selected by attorney peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in American 2022 for Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships), Litigation - Real Estate, Environmental Law, Land Use and Zoning Law, and Real Estate Law; listed since 2001
- Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business 2021 for Real Estate (Senior Statesmen)
- Highest "AV" Professional Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Member, Order of the Coif
- Lecturer, William S. Richardson School of Law - Real Estate Development and Finance
- Hawaii State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section