Associate / Honolulu
Puananionaona "Onaona" P. Thoene
Onaona Thoene is an Associate in the firm's Honolulu office and a member of its Real Property, Environmental, and Business & Corporate practice groups. Her practice also focuses on land use and administrative law. Onaona received a J.D., magna cum laude, from the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, William S. Richardson School of Law with certificates in environmental law and native Hawaiian law, and a B.B.A., cum laude, from the University of San Diego. She is fluent in Hawaiian.
- Assisted client with research regarding non-covered source, covered source, and PSD permits.
- Assisted client with research regarding enforcement of HRS Chapters 342D, 342H and 342J claims.
- Board of Land and Natural Resources: Assisted clients with various matters related to renewal of a lease for state land, promulgation of agency rules, conservation district use permit, and contested case hearing.
- State of Hawaii Land Use Commission: Represented clients in connection with amendments to district boundary applications for the development of utility scale solar energy facilities, and defense of an environmental impact statement.
- Honolulu Planning Commission: Represented client in connection with a special use permit application for development of a utility scale solar energy facility.
- Department of Planning and Permitting: Assisted client with conditional use permit application for an agricultural energy facility.
- County of Hawaii Planning Commission: Assisted client with renewal and amendment of special permit to operate a quarry and recycling facility.
- Kauai Planning Commission: Assisted client with special management area permit application proceedings.
- State of Hawaii Department of Health: Assisted clients with response to notices of violation, and requests for contested case hearings.
- Co-Editor-in-Chief, University of Hawaii Law Review, Volume 35
- Staff Writer, University of Hawaii Law Review, Volume 34
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, State & Local Government, Fall 2012
- Alston Hunt Floyd & Ing Award for the Best Environmental Law Topic for the Second Year Seminar Paper entitled House Resolution 910 "Energy Tax Prevention Act of 2011": One Step Toward Economic Efficiency, Two Steps Back for Global Warming, Fall 2012
- Starn O'Toole Marcus & Fisher Scholarship for Excellence in Contracts and Contributions to the UH Law School Community, Fall 2011
- McCorriston Miller Mukai MacKinnon Scholarship, Fall 2011
- Hawaii State Bar Association
- Prince Kuhio Hawaiian Civic Club
- Hawaiian Islands Land Trust, Oahu Island Advisory Council
- State v. Fields: Should a Declarant's Professed Memory Loss at Trial Satisfy the "Unavailability" Requirement Under Hawaii's Confrontation Clause, with Andrea Ushijima, 34 U. Haw. L. Rev. (forthcoming 2014)
- Maybe She's Born With It? Maybe It's Gene Therapy?, with Kiyomi Labuguen, American Journal of Bioethics, Fall 2003