Avery C. Matro is an associate in the firm's Honolulu office. She concentrates her practice in the areas of Real Property and Administrative Law. Prior to joining Carlsmith Ball, Ms. Matro served as a Deputy Prosecuting Attorney for the City and County of Honolulu's Department of the Prosecuting Attorney. From 2013 to 2016, she gained substantial trial experience representing the State in multiple bench and jury trials, with charges ranging from petty misdemeanors to Class A felonies.
Ms. Matro brings her criminal litigation experience to not only civil matters heard at Circuit Court, but also to contested hearings heard before various state agencies. She is currently assisting in the development of litigation strategy and the crafting of pre-trial motions in connection with significant land use and environmental matters before state agencies and appellate courts.
She received her J.D. degree from the University of Hawaii William S. Richardson School of Law, cum laude. She was the lead oralist on the Sal Lefkowitz Intellectual Property moot court team. In 2013, the team won Best Oralist, Best Brief, and First Place Overall at the Western Division Competition. The team went on to win Best Oralist Team and Best Overall Team at the National Competition. While at Richardson, Ms. Matro also received the CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Constitutional Law II.
Prior Work Experience
- Department of the Prosecuting Attorney, Deputy Prosecuting Attorney
- Hawaii Intermediate Court of Appeals, Extern for Judge Ginoza
- Department of the Prosecuting Attorney, Domestic Violence Division, Summer Intern
- William S. Richardson School of Law, Torts Teaching Assistant
- McCorriston Miller Mukai Mackinnon LLP, Summer Associate
- 2013 Saul Lefkowitz Intellectual Property Moot Court National Champion
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Constitutional Law II
- Seattle Pacific University, University Scholar
- Seattle Pacific University, Mortar Board
Areas of Practice
- Real Property
- Administrative Law
- University of Hawaii, William S. Richardson School of Law,Honolulu,Hawaii
- J.D., cum laude
- Seattle Pacific University
- B.A., summa cum laude